In this guide:
- Dos and don’ts of choosing your first date shoes
- How do I pick the right date shoes?
- Best women’s shoes for a date
- Best men’s shoes for a date
Going on a first date can be exciting, nerve-wracking and romantic but above all, it’s the perfect chance to make a good first impression. It’s important that you show off who you are and do what you can to help yourself feel more comfortable. A great way to do this is through your look – from your hairstyle right down to your date shoes.
If you’re not sure where to start, don’t worry – a few simple tips for choosing the best date night shoes will set you on your way. Before selecting those all-important shoes, here are some of the key dos and don’ts around what shoes to wear on a first date.
✔ Wear comfortable shoes. If you’re more comfortable in flats over heels, pick a nice pair of ballet pumps or flat sandals. Likewise, if you’re a man who prefers brogues over boots, opt for a pair of those.
✔ Keep things simple. Certain shoes never go out of fashion and go with almost any outfit – for example, a clean pair of pumps is always a safe bet.
✔ Consider your whole outfit. If you’ve opted for a dark outfit, maybe add a splash of colour with your choice of shoe. Remember to match colours to create a sleek and effective look.
✔ Make sure your shoes are clean. First impressions can be everything, especially on a date, so make sure your shoes are clean of dirt and grime.
☓ Wear shoes you can’t walk in or hurt your feet. That pair of boots might look great but if you keep falling over in them then it might be best to avoid them this time around. Take note of our size guides before buying a special pair for the night.
☓ Wear shoes that aren’t your fit or style. Be yourself – if you never wear heels and you feel uncomfortable in them, it’ll show. You want to be confident and comfortable, so choose shoes accordingly.
☓ Overdo it. Your personality should be the centre of attention on a date, not your shoes. A good pair of date shoes should complement you in the limelight, not steal it.
How do I pick the right date shoes?
- Your wider outfit. Your shoes depend on a lot on your overall look. If you’re wearing jeans, you may opt for ankle boots or stilettoes – alternatively, trainers or dress shoes.
- Where you’re going. Where’s your date taking place, and will you be sitting down or walking? If you’re out for a fancy dinner, you could wear a gorgeous pair of stilettoes or brogues. If you’re going to be walking more, try wearing boots with a strong heel – this will take some of the pressure off the ball of your foot.
- The season. Think about what the weather might throw at you – even indoors. If it’s cold, boots would be a wise choice because as well as being comfortable, they’re super stylish. If it’s warm, brogues are light and airy while still looking smart.
✔ Do put comfort first
☓ Don’t wear a colour that clashes with your outfit
When styled well, high heels can take the class of any outfit up a notch. The best heels to wear are stilettoes and heeled ankle boots. Stilettoes are better when you’re wearing long trousers and skirts as they often have an open foot, which will make your legs look longer, especially in long skirts. Heeled ankle boots look better with shorter skirts, dresses and rolled-up jeans, as they can often cause long trousers to bunch at the bottom.
If you’re more of a flats kind of girl, a pair of pretty Ballerina flats
✔ Do wear leather
☓ Don’t wear running shoes
These shoes go with jeans, dress trousers and chinos. They’re a classic style that will make you look smart – even if you have no idea what you’re doing when it comes to fashion. That’s why they made it onto our list of shoes every man should own. Just be sure that the colours of the shoes and the colour of your trousers don’t clash.
Finding the right pair of shoes for a date can sometimes be like finding the right person – there are lots of factors to consider before making a final choice. While we can’t help you find your ideal match, we can help you find the right pair of shoes.